Friday, July 29, 2016

Nasty Cat and Doctor Hate (Keith)

Hey everyone, Keith here. That magic moment you've all been waiting for has arrived. It's time for the weekly blog update!

Super quick, if anyone is curious about my health status this week: yep, I'm still a gimp. But I'll be able to walk by late September/early October.

So to start out this update, I thought I'd share another one of my down and dirty character sketches, this time for NASTY CAT, another member of our group of villains, MURDERER'S ROW.

There's a little bit of history to Nasty Cat. I've carried around the (kind of corny) name in my back pocket for a lot of years now but never really had a clear idea of who or what the character was. I didn't want her to be a rip off of Catwoman or Black Cat or even Tigra. So when it came time to populate this book with villains, I figured the moment had come to figure it out.

So I combined my vague ideas for Nasty Cat with a jokey idea Tom and I had five or six years ago about a bikini model with the head of a gorilla grafted onto her neck, the freakish result of alien experimentation. I swapped out the gorilla for a house cat and the below sketch is Tom's starting point visually for the character.  She's got the power to control all felines, whether lion or tiger or kitten.

And who knows? Maybe there's a house cat with a human head running around somewhere too. 

And speaking of human/cat hybrids, one of my favorite characters to play around with has become DR. HATE.

Dr. Hate is an 80-year old criminal mastermind whose mind has been trapped in the body of a house cat as punishment for his crimes. He lives with Electricia and, like most cats with their owners, sometimes even seems to like her. Dr. Hate is equal parts evil, wise, selfish, and overbearing. He may also be susceptible to Nasty Cat's control.  I love the way Tom gives him so much personality and movement whenever we see him.

So here's Dr. Hate in action below. This page is waiting for Tom to color render on top of the flat colors I've laid down. I'm as curious as anyone what the final result is going to look like. It'll be a lot nicer, that's for sure.
And that's about it. We'll see you next Friday with some more hot Switch action. Have a good week, everyone!

Thanks,
Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment