Friday, April 22, 2016

My first official reward sketch

Hey everybody, happy Friday to you all!

Things are proceeding apace here in the land of The Switch. In between my other deadlines, I've locked down the script through page 30 (aside from some possible dialogue revisions when it comes time to letter the artwork).

I always feel happy with my dialogue until I set it aside for a bit and read it over with fresh eyes. Then I take a few minutes to punish myself for being the worst writer mankind has ever known, cry a bit about how writing is just too hard, slump to the floor in a deep funk and curl up in a fetal position. After about 13 seconds of self pity, I pick myself up by the bootstraps, wipe the dust off my derriere (making a mental note to vacuum more often. Damn dust!) and rewrite until the characters are actually saying what I wanted them to, in their own voices, like I should have had them doing in the first place if I didn't always try to out-clever myself.

That's pretty much my process on every single page.

In addition, I managed to complete my first reward Sketch of Electricia this week. Here it is for your use and enjoyment.

                                               

This is actually my third attempt at my first sketch. I wasn't very happy with the first two and Tom enjoyed making fun of them. With this one, I kinda wish I had modeled the gray areas instead of just slapping a flat tone down for the costume and electric hair. I'll probably go back in with whiteout and add some highlights to try to give the figure more of a sense of roundness. Also, her foot's not actually cropped in the real drawing, it's just a poor photo choice by me.

So anyway, this one will find its way to the Mattingly family. I'm sure they'll frame it under bright spotlights and treasure it forever. Because who wouldn't?

So that's the news from the world of The Switch today. See you next week, we'll be posting something special.

Thanks,
Keith


No comments:

Post a Comment