Friday, January 20, 2017

Deleted Scenes

Hey everyone, welcome back to another edition of America's Favorite Production Blog for The Switch Graphic Novel! OK, I'll admit we're also America's ONLY production blog for the Switch graphic novel so basically, that makes us America's favorite by default. But it still counts, right?

This past week I've been going through the script with an editor's eye, looking for scenes that are extraneous or that don't quite fit into the proper narrative of the greater story being told. I thought I'd share one that I decided to edit out this week. These pages never made it to the version of the script that Tom is working from, he's never seen them before either.

So here you go, catch you on the other side of these script pages...

PAGE FIFTY-TWO
PANEL ONE

FLASHBACK SCENE. Let's color this monotone to give it a different look/feel than the rest of the book and to help signify that it's a dream/memory sequence.

Night. 

We're on top of a cliff overlooking a rock quarry. A grassy patch of dirt with a blanket, some crumpled beer cans, and TEENAGE VERSIONS OF ELECTRICIA and LOVER BOY. They're dressed like normal kids. Lover Boy, bone skinny as a teen, has the same sense of style and mullet.

But the weird thing is there's a large chunk of glowing machinery embedded in the ground nearby. And all that stuff I described above? It's been blown to hell and back as if that chunk of machinery crashed to the earth here.

Electricia and Lover Boy are semi-conscious, sprawled out near one another.

NO DIALOGUE

PANEL TWO

Closer angle on Lover Boy and Electricia, still sprawled out near each other on the ground.

LOVER BOY: Jenn?
LOVER BOY: Told you I'd--I'd make the earth move.
ELECTRICIA: ...Uhhhhh...

PANEL THREE

A different angle. We can see Electricia, prone, in the foreground. 

From this new angle, in the background, about twenty feet away from E and Lover Boy, Electricia's DAD jumps out of a pick up truck.

Good looking, rugged guy. 90's hair/clothes.

DAD: JENNIFER!

PANEL FOUR

Dad kneels next to his daughter, checking for a pulse. Lover Boy is sitting up nearby, woozy.

DAD: Can you hear me, Jenn? It's DAD, I'm here.
LOVER BOY: Mister Bellino, it's not my fault. That thing, it came out of the sky.
LOVER BOY: Head feels weird. I think I'm gonna puke.

PANEL FIVE

Close on Dad, angry, whirling to face Lover Boy.

DAD: Dobiejko! I knew I'd find you with her.
DAD: How many times have I told you to stay AWAY from my daughter?!

PAGE FIFTY-THREE
PANEL ONE

A different angle on Dad and Lover Boy. He's grabbing Lover Boy by the arm, screaming in his face.

Lover Boy is twisting away, eyes clenched as if he has the world's worst headache.

DAD: You think you can just IGNORE the RESTRAINING ORDER? You're going to JAIL this time, boy.
LOVER BOY: Takes—takes two to tango, chief.

PANEL TWO

Close on Lover Boy, eyes scrunched in pain, but still an asshole.

LOVER BOY: You should tell your precious little baby to stay away from ME. Girl can't get ENOUGH of my stuff.
LOVER BOY: Now stop YELLING, my head is killing me.

PANEL THREE

Dad rolls up his sleeves. Lover Boy is doubled over, grimacing.

DAD: What did you just say to me?
LOVER BOY: I said...

PANEL FOUR

Close on Lover Boy. Red energy is exploding from his eyes as he uses his powers for the very first time.

LOVER BOY: GO TAKE A FLYING LEAP.

PANEL FIVE

In the foreground, the glowing machinery.

Middle ground, Dad walks past Electricia, still semi-conscious in the dirt, on his way to the edge of the cliff.

He looks pretty freaked out.

DAD: Jenn, I—
DAD: I can't control my legs.

PANEL SIX

A panoramic shot of the rock quarry. At the top, tiny, silhouetted, we see Electricia's Dad jumping off.

DAD: HELP!!


So there you have it. A deleted scene that both a) suggests how Electricia and Lover Boy got their powers and b) shows how Electricia's father died when she was a teenager, an event that put her firmly on the path to becoming the villain that she grows up to become.

Why did I delete them? I liked the reveal that Lover Boy and Electricia knew each other in their younger days but I felt they distracted too much from the narrative thrust of the main story. I guess it just didn't feel necessary to include. We don't NEED to know how Electricia got her powers or how her father died to understand who she is or where she's at in life. I mean, you guys kinda know now and maybe that'll add a little subtext when you read the graphic novel but for anyone that misses it, they're not really missing anything.

Plus it's less for Tom to draw.

If any artists in our group want to take a crack at drawing those two pages of script, Tom and I would be glad to show the pages on the blog and give you a special shout out and some recognition. If you're inclined, have a good time!

That's all for this week. Notice I didn't even mention the inauguration? 

Thanks for your time and support.
Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment